Break out the Timbs and North Face because it’s officially Scorpio season, Thanksgiving is around the corner, and BNP is back with the rundown of new shows and movies coming to Netflix in November! This month marks the official start of Netflix and chill season, so here’s what to look out for this month.
Frontier Season 3
Any show that allows Jason Momoa to basically be Khal Drogo is A-OK in my book.
Patriot Act With Hassan Minhaj
If you don’t know who this guy is, you’re doing yourself a disservice. Omar already came through with the anime sparkles on fleeky when he dropped his appreciation post for his comedy special, Homecoming King from last year. Now, we get to see what this young stud can do with a fully funded Netflix show. We know he doesn’t hold back when it comes to getting political, so this should be a fun ride. Oh, and if you need any more convincing, check out this hilarious and supremely on point trailer of the government using the Patriot Act to keep tabs on the up and coming comedic star. Episodes begin streaming every Sunday, beginning October 28.
House of Cards Season 6
There are a few trailers out there, but I love the singular, “We’re just getting started” line in this particular trailer. It shows so much confidence in the show post-Spacey dive-bomb. One of our writers is currently reviewing the season and has thankfully reported that they redid the good parts of House of Cards but with Robin Wright.
Yooooo, this show looks downright hilarious and amazing, not to mention as fabulous as a RuPaul Birthday party in Miami. If the Powerpuff Girls had the mentality of a contestant on America’s Next Top Model and was mentored by Titus from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, you’d have Super Drags! If you’re into lesbians, lip syncs, haters, romance, weapons, sexy robots and watersports, you’re not even ready for the drag realness that is about to hit you in November.
The Final Table
Looks like Netflix is trying to get in on the ever popular competitive cooking show game! Gordon Ramsey who??! The Final Table is an international competition to see which of the best chefs in the world can master the cuisines of 9 different countries. They’ll be judged by different chef legends and a few celebrities that seem like they’ll be jumping to assess how inspirational or bland these dishes turn out.
Death By Magic
This docuseries follows British magician Drummond Money-Coutts (a.k.a. DMC) on his mission to uncover the stories of magicians who died performing the most dangerous stunts ever attempted.
“DMC is a gifted magician whose mind-bending illusions mesmerize and confound people of all ages, cultures, and backgrounds.” DMC and his show are out to shock the world in eight cities across four continents. Get ready for some of the most daring and astounding magic ever seen.
This one features real music by 9 performers who have a chance at stardom. Seeing so many people of color got me excited to watch a singing competition for the first time in a decade. We have gay men flourishing. We got loud, confident, stage actors. There are quiet singers packing powerful voices. This will definitely be a big hit in the theater community and provide a nice change of pace for The Voice and American Idol stans.
This one has been getting the full Netflix ad treatment, which usually means one of two things. It’s expensive, and they think it’s going to be a hit. Or it’s expensive, and they are trying to sucker as many people into watching the movie before word spreads. Chris Pine plays Robert the Bruce (who was part of William Wallace’s rebellion), but in Outlaw King he’s the King of Scotland who is forced into exile by the English. We’ll see him squad up and lead a band of outlaws to help him reclaim the throne.
Can’t lie, I rolled my eyes when I saw this one on the list. Then, I watched the trailer and thought to myself that this might be better than Tim Allen’s The Santa Clause, and alllllmost as good as Elf. Maybe. Either way, it’s just in time for the holiday season.
The Holiday Calendar
If you’re a fan of those feel good holiday movies where everything just seems to go right for the main character, The Holiday Calendar is definitely for you. A magic holiday calendar where all the wishes for each day come true?! With a black ass cast of young actors anchored by This Is Us and Mr. Robot alum, Ron Cephas Jones, I’m in.
The Other Side Of The Wind
I honestly have no idea how to frame what this epic movie entail besides saying after 45 years Hollywood has decided to finish the last great film of Orson Wells. In pseudo-documentary/actual movie format, this looks to be a filmmaker’s dream come true.
The World is Yours
You down for a rom-com about a duchess & a commoner who swap places after discovering they look exactly alike? What if I told you things get complicated when they each fall in love with a man who doesn’t know their true identity? Who’s world is this?
For The Kids
In the city of Motown, young Ben discovers he can bring street art to life. Smokey Robinson is the executive music producer of this animated series, and I’m intrigued how great this could be! Young music lovers have something to be excited about.
Kulipari: Dream Walkers
The first season featured Mark Hamill and a squad of frogs, so everyone should obviously binge that and get ready for S2.
She-Ra and the Princesses of Power
For the Honor of Grey Skull! Arguably the most anticipated title to drop this month is to about to make a splash. Princess Adora is the long-lost twin sister of He-Man (Prince Adam). Why should you care? Because she’s a beast and is increasing the visibility of strong, fearless girls everywhere. She can lift grown men, boulders, and buildings. She’s fast enough to block and dodge multiple energy blasts and can even communicate with animals. But don’t let the skills fool you, she’s as cunning as ever. Unlike her brother, she prefers to use her wits to outsmart her enemies and opponents, using violence and fighting as a last resort.
NETFLIX ORIGINAL COMEDY SPECIALS
Bumping Mics with Jeff Ross & Dave Attel
John Leguizamo’s Latin History for Morons
Loudon Wainwright III: Surviving Twin
Trevor Noah: Son of Patricia
NETFLIX ORIGINAL DOCUMENTARIES
Follow This: Part 3
Medal of Honor
ReMastered: Tricky Dick & The Man in Black
They’ll Love Me When I’m Dead
Everything Else In November
- Angela’s Christmas— NETFLIX ORIGINAL
A trip to church with her family on Christmas Eve gives young Angela an extraordinary idea. A heartwarming tale based on a story by Frank McCourt.
- Bram Stoker’s Dracula
- Bring It On: In It to Win It
- Cape Fear
- Children of Men
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind
- Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo
- Doctor Strange
- Fair Game – Director’s Cut
- Follow This: Part 3–– NETFLIX ORIGINAL
BuzzFeed reporters research sexbots, superbug snipers and more in the third installment of this documentary series.
- From Dusk Till Dawn
- Good Will Hunting
- Jet Li’s Fearless
- Julie & Julia
- Katt Williams: The Pimp Chronicles: Pt. 1
- National Lampoon’s Animal House
- Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow
- Planet Hulk
- Scary Movie 2
- Scary Movie 3
- Sex and the City: The Movie
- Sixteen Candles
- The English Patient
- The Judgement– NETFLIX ORIGINAL: After a traumatic incident at a party makes her a target of gossip and derision, a young college student tries to change her school’s toxic culture.
- The Untold Tales of Armistead Maupin
- The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep
- Brainchild— NETFLIX ORIGINAL
From germs and emotions to social media and more, it’s the science of your world explained in a way that’s refreshingly relatable.
- House of Cards: Season 6— NETFLIX ORIGINAL
With Frank out of the picture, Claire Underwood steps fully into her own as the first woman president, but faces formidable threats to her legacy.
- ReMastered: Tricky Dick & The Man in Black— NETFLIX ORIGINAL
This documentary chronicles Johnny Cash’s 1970 visit to the White House, where Cash’s shifting ideals clashed with Richard Nixon’s policies.
- The Holiday Calendar— NETFLIX FILM: A talented photographer stuck in a dead-end job inherits an antique Advent calendar that may be predicting the future — and pointing her toward love.
- The Other Side of the Wind— NETFLIX FILM
A completion and restoration of Orson Welles’s unfinished film, this satire follows the final days of a legendary director striving for a comeback.
- They’ll Love Me When I’m Dead— NETFLIX ORIGINAL
This engaging documentary explores Orson Welles’s unfinished film, “The Other Side of the Wind,” which he worked on for a decade before his death.
- Trolls: The Beat Goes On!: Season 4— NETFLIX ORIGINAL: With her sunny attitude, Poppy leads her friends in rescuing Mr. Dinkles, supporting Guy Diamond’s new invention and teaching Smidge to be helpful.
- Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil
- Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End
- Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj (Streaming Every Sunday, begins October 28)– NETFLIX ORIGINAL
In this weekly show, Hasan Minhaj brings his unique comedic voice and storytelling skill to explore the larger trends shaping our fragmented world.
- Homecoming: Season 1
- John Leguizamo’s Latin History for Morons— NETFLIX ORIGINAL
With a rapid-fire lesson in overlooked Latin history, Colombian-American actor John Leguizamo comes to Netflix with his one-man Broadway show John Leguizamo: Latin History For Morons.
- Into the Forest
- The Sea of Trees
- Beat Bugs: Season 3— NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Music keeps the Beat Bugs going and points the way to problem-solving solutions in another season of fun and adventure.
- La Reina del Flow– NETFLIX ORIGINAL: Seventeen years after being wrongly imprisoned, a talented songwriter seeks justice against the men who caused her downfall and killed her family.
- Medal of Honor— NETFLIX ORIGINAL
This emotional docudrama tells the stories of Medal of Honor recipients from U.S. military operations in Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam and more.
- Outlaw King— NETFLIX FILM
This period drama follows Robert the Bruce’s battle to regain control after being made an outlaw by the King of England for taking the Scottish Crown.
- Spirit Riding Free: Season 7— NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Seasons change, and so do Lucky’s adventures, whether she’s racing through the snow, outsmarting villains or soaring high in the sky!
- Super Drags— NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Three gay friends, working by day at a department store, lead double lives as crime-fighting superhero drag queens.
- The Great British Baking Show: Collection 6— NETFLIX ORIGINAL
The mouth-watering contest returns to the big white tent with 12 new bakers and another season bursting with delicious surprises.
- Treehouse Detectives: Season 2— NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Brother-and-sister detectives Toby and Teri are back on the case, helping others, being brave — and asking big questions about the world around them.
- Westside— NETFLIX ORIGINAL: Westside offers an unscripted and deeply personal glimpse into the journeys of nine young L.A.-based musicians as they follow their dreams. Each episode sheds light on their creative processes and personal struggles, interspersing cinema verité-style documentary footage with beautifully produced music videos featuring original songs.
- Green Room
- Loudon Wainwright III: Surviving Twin— NETFLIX ORIGINAL: Grammy-winning singer Loudon Wainwright III reflects on the close but complicated relationships between fathers and sons in this intimate evening of music and storytelling, from executive producer Judd Apatow, director Christopher Guest and produced by Funny Or Die.
- Oh My Ghost– NETFLIX ORIGINAL: When a skilled but timid chef is possessed by a sassy spirit, her newfound confidence catches the eye of her longtime crush, a culinary hotshot.
- Warrior— NETFLIX ORIGINAL: A war veteran plagued by guilt over his final mission teams up with his best friend’s widow to infiltrate a dangerous Copenhagen biker gang.
- May The Devil Take You– NETFLIX FILM
When her estranged father falls into a mysterious coma, a young woman seeks answers at his old villa, where she and her stepsister uncover dark truths.
- The Crew— NETFLIX FILM: Work-life balance breaks down for Paris’s most gifted armed robbers when a grave mistake forces them to work for a crime boss in a high-stakes heist.
- Cam— NETFLIX FILM
Her online life’s been stolen. Her real life’s unraveling. There’s only one way out: beat the impersonator at her own game.
- Narcos: Mexico— NETFLIX ORIGINAL
See the rise of the Guadalajara Cartel as an American DEA agent learns the danger of targeting narcos in Mexico.
- Ponysitters Club: Season 2— NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Skye and the Rescue Ranch gang return for another round of action-packed adventure, incredible friendship and adorable animals.
- Prince of Peoria— NETFLIX ORIGINAL
When an easygoing 13-year-old prince goes incognito as a U.S. exchange student, he strikes up an unlikely friendship with a fastidious overachiever.
- She-Ra and the Princesses of Power— NETFLIX ORIGINAL
In this reboot of the ’80s series, a magic sword transforms an orphan girl into warrior She-Ra, who unites a rebellion to fight against evil.
- The Ballad of Buster Scruggs— NETFLIX FILM
Saddle up for six tales about the American frontier from the unique minds of Joel and Ethan Coen, who wrote and directed this anthology.
- The Break-Up
- The Kominsky Method— NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Michael Douglas stars as a briefly successful actor turned revered Hollywood acting coach. A Chuck Lorre comedy series also featuring Alan Arkin.
- The Princess Switch— NETFLIX FILM: When a down-to-earth Chicago baker and a soon-to-be princess discover they look like twins, they hatch a Christmastime plan to trade places.
- The Pixar Story
- The Last Kingdom: Season 3— NETFLIX ORIGINAL
As Alfred’s health weakens — and with it his dream of a united England — Uhtred must take command and confront a new threat, Danish warlord Sigrid.
- Kulipari: Dream Walker— NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Now the Blue Sky King, Darel must lead a rescue mission to save a Dream Walker — leaving the village under the protection of the Kulipari youth.
- Motown Magic— NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Imaginative boy Ben transforms his city by bringing colorful street art to life, armed with a magic paintbrush — and the classic sounds of Motown.
- Sabrina— NETFLIX FILM
A toymaker and his wife are terrorized by a demonized doll after their adopted child tries to summon her late mother’s spirit using a spooky ritual.
- The Final Table— NETFLIX ORIGINAL
The Final Table is a global culinary competition show featuring the world’s most talented chefs fighting for a spot at the elite, Final Table made up of the greatest chefs from around the globe.
- Trevor Noah: Son of Patricia— NETFLIX ORIGINAL: Trevor Noah gets out from behind the “Daily Show” desk and takes the stage for a stand-up special that touches on racism, immigration, camping and more.
- The Tribe– NETFLIX FILM: An executive-turned-viral sensation loses his reputation and his memory, but finds a new life with his biological mother and her empowered dance group.
- Jiro Dreams of Sushi
- Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Gauntlet— NETFLIX ORIGINAL
This season, Kinga subjects Jonah and the bots to a devious new experiment: a back-to-back marathon of six hilariously cheesy — and riffworthy — films.
- The Christmas Chronicles— NETFLIX FILM: Two siblings team up with Santa Claus for a high-flying holiday adventure. A new Christmas classic from the makers of “Harry Potter” and “Home Alone.
- Frontier: Season 3— NETFLIX ORIGINAL
While Harp pursues Lord Benton to rescue Grace, Michael takes command of the Black Wolf Company and Sokanon embarks on a righteous crusade.
- Fugitiva– NETFLIX ORIGINAL: A woman organizes a escape plan camouflaged as a kidnapping to protect her children from her husband’s enemies.
- Sick Note– NETFLIX ORIGINAL: This black comedy series follows a slacker misdiagnosed with cancer whose lies lead him into an absurd web of secrets, blackmail and suspicion.
- Sick Note: Season 2– NETFLIX ORIGINAL: Rupert Grint, Nick Frost and Lindsay Lohan star in the second dose of the brilliantly dark comedy. And the lies just keep on coming…
- To Build or Not to Build: Season 2
- My Little Pony Friendship is Magic: Best Gift Ever
- Bumping Mics with Jeff Ross & Dave Attel— NETFLIX ORIGINAL: Veteran comedians Jeff Ross and Dave Attell roast each other, the audience and special guests.
- Pocoyo: Season 4
- 1983– NETFLIX ORIGINAL: In a totalitarian Poland, law student Kajetan Skowron and detective Anatol Janów unravel a terrible conspiracy stretching to the country’s foundations.
- A Christmas Prince: The Royal Wedding– NETFLIX FILM: A year after helping Richard secure the crown, Amber’s getting ready to walk down the aisle with him. But she’s not so sure she’s cut out to be queen.
- Baby– NETFLIX ORIGINAL: By day, Chiara is a promising student at one of Rome’s most elite private high schools. But by night, she leads a scandalous secret life.
- Death by Magic– NETFLIX ORIGINAL
British magician Drummond Money-Coutts, or DMC for short, is on a mission to uncover the stories of magicians who died performing the most dangerous stunts ever attempted. He travels the world to track down where the fatal performances took place and to work out exactly what went wrong, sharing his magic with the people he meets along the way.
- F is for Family: Season 3– NETFLIX ORIGINAL: When Frank befriends a handsome young fighter pilot — voiced by Vince Vaughn — the family embarks on a whole new set of adventures.
- Happy as Lazzaro– NETFLIX FILM: Ordinary teen Lazzaro is content with life as a sharecropper in rural Italy, but a visit from the aristocrat landowner’s son changes everything.
- Rajma Chawal– NETFLIX FILM
An internet-rookie father attempts to use social media to enhance his faltering relationship with his millennial son.
- Spy Kids: Mission Critical: Season 2– NETFLIX ORIGINAL: Finally feeling like a real team, the Mission Critical kids face their toughest test as they set out to destroy Golden Brain’s lair once and for all.
- The World Is Yours– NETFLIX FILM
To escape his life of crime, a small-time mobster in Paris accepts one last job involving Spain, drugs, the Illuminati and his overbearing mother.
- Tiempo compartido– NETFLIX FILM: Two men join forces to rescue their families from a tropical paradise, convinced a U.S. timeshare conglomerate has a sinister plan to take them away.
That’s the rundown my ninjas. There’s a New to Netflix in November trailer if you’re more visual with your hype:
Want to get Black Nerd Problems updates sent directly to you? Sign up here!