Continuing a long-running relationship between DC Comics and IDW Publishing, IDW recently announced at San Diego Comic-Con that this fall the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will be teaming up with none other than Batman himself in a six-issue miniseries helmed by veteran Batman writer James Tynion IV and artist Freddie E. Wiliams II. Williams will also get the privilege of illustrating the cover art along side TMNT co-creator Kevin Eastman.
The plot, via an official press release, is as follows: “In the ongoing power struggle between the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, General Krang, and the Foot Clan, allegiances have shifted and the battle lines have been drawn. Krang concocts a plan to rid himself of both the Turtles and Shredder by transporting them to another dimension, where they land in the dark and dangerous streets of Gotham City. It isn’t long before they encounter Gotham’s most famous resident, Batman. The Caped Crusader may be their only hope of overcoming their enemies and getting back home. But not before they encounter a whole cast of Gotham’s most infamous rogues.”
As BNP’s resident TMNT enthusiast (I could seriously teach a course, Oxford holla at your boy!) nobody is more excited by this news than I am. Yes, TMNT fans, we have sat through many, many, many terrible crossovers since the 80’s, but good or bad this is a win for all my nostalgic people everywhere. Let me tell you, my inner child is rocking that too-tight TMNT sweater he got when he was three, holding his toy Batmobile from the Tim Burton era, crying in hysterics right now. I honestly cannot deal. Thinking about all the potential this crossover could hold is going to make it hard for me to sleep at night.
- Upon first meeting Batman will defeat all four Turtles only to have Splinter step in to save them…again.
- Michelangelo will dress up as Robin at least once.
- Batman recognizes Leonardo’s superb leadership then proceeds to ride him the hardest.
- Donatello vs. Oracle: Battle of the Nerds.
- Jason Todd will attempt to stop Casey Jones.
- Casey will then wonder how he got stuck fighting the worst Robin.
- Casey will easily defeat Jason Todd… only to get his ass whooped by Dick Grayson.
- Batman will draw up a contingency plan in secret because of course.
- Joker schools Shredder how to be a REAL villain.
- Bruce Wayne will actually utter “Cowabunga!”